Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Week 5, Run 2




You know that feeling you get when the President tells you that you’ve just won the Congressional Medal of Honor? Yeah, me either. But that’s the kind of rush I felt this morning after my run!

I’m still dealing with the fact that I have to get up so much earlier than I’m used to, and my body doesn’t like it one bit, but I’m coping with it! Thankfully, my brain is usually still sleeping, so my run is almost over by the time I’m awake! Also, seeing the sunrise is pretty much  the only motivation for running first thing in the morning, because that phenomena is so beautiful!

As you can see from the picture above, it was nice and dark in the park when I started this morning. My first lap around the park each time I go is a test to see where all the icy spots are. From there, I develop my route and keep reminders in my head as to where I should be running, lest I fall on my behind. :D

In my pre-running days, 8 minutes was nothing! It was just one segment of a TV show to sit through on the couch. In running minutes, though, 8 “normal” minutes is somewhere between 3 and 4 lifetimes. At least, that’s what it felt like!

But, thanks to the afore-mentioned “not-awake-ness” of my mind on early-morning runs, the 8-minute runs seemed easy! During both runs today, I made it all the way around the park, which is quite a distance (for me) for 8 minutes!

My legs have been sore throughout today, but I think they’ve completely deserved it! I’m going to let them rest before I get back out there and try to survive Friday morning’s (GASP) 20-minute run!!

If you’re just starting and need motivation, don’t worry at all! Do what you can handle and take it as it comes! Do your best and always remember that every journey, no matter what the distance, starts with 1 step. God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! You're brave for going for the early morning runs. I hate mornings! BTW...did my 3 minute run today! So easy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete