Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 5, Run 1




Week 5? Are you kidding! I know that I’m supposed to be inspirational and optimistic in all my blog posts, but, when I started this program, I honestly didn’t think I would make it this far! But now here I am, and I’m one run away from being half way through the program!

This morning, I tried something new. As I may or may not have said last week (I can’t remember), I started my new schedule that requires me to be at school 2 hours earlier than I have been since I started the program. Since it’s mid-winter here, that means that I have to start running before sunlight! I was really intimidated about running this morning, but as you’re about to read, I had nothing to worry about!

I set my alarm for 6 this morning, so I could be ready go and have plenty of time to get ready for school. So, I woke up and was ready at 6:10, but outside was completely dark (I checked, and sunrise wasn’t til 7:02 today). I was nervous about my “pre-sun run,” so I stalled until 6:30, when trace amount of dark light (if there is such a thing) were starting to show through the trees. Knowing I couldn’t stall any longer because of school, I left the house then.

Cars seldom drive down our country road, but I wore a reflective vest and carried a flashlight just to be safe. And it turned out I needed them, because several people must have left for work during my run! I’m glad I took the vest and light, so I’ll definitely be using them on future runs until I’m running in brighter conditions.

Now on to today’s run: today was three 5-minute runs, with 3 minute walks between them. After last week, I was unsure if my legs would adapt to the 5-minute runs, but I can now rest assured that they did! The first two runs were easy peasy, and the third run was more difficult, but still do-able!

Even though today’s run was easy, I started to worry about Friday’s run. I thought, In four days, I have to run 20 minutes, which is today’s run PLUS another one, with no rests! How will I survive? Honestly, I don’t know how I’ll survive, but I know that I CAN DO IT! I’m not going to worry about it, because I’ll have spent FIVE WEEKS getting my legs ready for it.

THIS IS POSSIBLE. DON’T GIVE UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment