Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 4, Run 2




Another cold day! I can’t say that I enjoy running in the cold, but I LOVE being able to say that I ran in the cold! Five weeks ago, I couldn’t imagine myself walking, let alone running in the winter time! I’ve always used the good ‘ole “I’m asthmatic and can’t breathe in cold weather” excuse, but I think I’m getting over it!

So now we’ve come to today’s run. I woke up at the usual time this morning (that usual time will be switching from 8am to 6am next week, unfortunately), and got ready! I’ve been so blessed that the weather has been almost perfect every time I’ve run. So, I got to take advantage of another beautiful, yet bitterly cold, morning.

The first 3-minute run was cold, as my body was still warming up from the cold. However, the first 5-minute run made me realize how difficult today’s run was going to be. My legs felt completely different from last run, like I was depleted of all energy in my legs! Boy, did I welcome those walks between the runs!

I kept going through my runs, telling myself that it was all possible. And, like all the other runs, I was right! (Everyone keeps saying the makers of the program knew what they were doing when they made it, and I completely agree.) The last half of the run almost killed me (at least, it felt like it), but I just slowed my pace until I felt comfortable with it. Finally, after 31 grueling minutes, I finished today’s run and walks! The rest of the day, I felt so tired, but oh so good!

***CONFESSION TIME: I went into today’s run knowing that I would feel extremely tired. You see, last night, I got to donate blood on the spur of the moment. I had been eligible to give since December, but had problems last time I attempted. When I tried to give blood in December, I was unable to pass the physical exam because of my heart rate. I was so out of shape that my resting heart rate was almost 120 beats per minute. However, last night, after 4 ½ weeks of running and healthy eating, I am SO proud to report that my resting heart rate was down to 75 beats per minute. I’ve never been so happy to be stuck with a needle! After December’s letdown, I promised to do my best to lower my heart rate, because it means so much for me to be able to donate to help save peoples’ lives.

So, even though this morning’s run was extremely rough, I felt so good about it! I knew that I would be drained of energy (along with a pint of blood), so I can now rest assured that I made it through today’s run! I expect Friday’s run to be a lot smoother, so I’ll report back after my run! See ya!


2 comments:

  1. Yay for lowered resting heart rate. That is so awesome. Proud of ya! I do W2R2 tomorrow! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Stephanie! Hope it went well, as I'm sure it did, today! Keep up your amazing work!

    ReplyDelete