Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week 7, Run 2

photo.JPG



All day, I’ve been guilty of the fact that I’m a living contradiction. Yesterday, during my motivational talk, I said, and I quote, “My morning runs have turned from agony to pure amazingness!”

Yeah, that’s a lie. After today’s run, it is! :D

On Monday (just a refresher; all my runs are 25 minutes straight this week), I felt great during the run. My legs felt as if they had plenty of energy to spare. So, I decided to put some of that extra energy to work during today’s run!

Remember in week 5 run 2, when I was running an entire lap around the park, per 8-minute run? Well, since the times of my runs have increased, my pace has steadily decreased. Lately, it has taken me closer to 10 minutes to run a single lap. This isn’t a bad thing for now, but I knew that I was going to need to start working on my speed (just a little) for my 5k next month (?!?!). So that’s what I did this morning!

I started lap 1 at a steady pace, feeling good and excited for my run! At the 5-minute cue, I started to feel a little bit tired, but still had plenty of energy. The 10-minute mark came and went, and so did I! By the time I only had 10 minutes, however, my legs were ready to walk. But I wasn’t! So I kept pushing on!  With only 10 minutes left, I had just finished my 2nd lap, and my pace had considerably slowed from when I started. I knew that, if I let my legs go slow on the last lap, I wouldn’t make it any further than usual, so I made myself up the ante a lot to get through the last lap.

10 minutes later, I had broken my distance record by half a lap (.4-ish miles)! I think I’m actually improving on my already-mind-blowing 25-minute runs!

So, my legs have burned immensely from today’s run, and I’ve even had a little trouble walking. But it’s all good. I know that I’ll be more than ready to get back out there and show myself what I’ve got on Friday!

If you’re new at this, stick with it; you most definitely won’t regret it! Start as slow as you need, and always remember that your journey, no matter how large it may be, all starts with 1 step…

1 comment: